Sunday, August 15, 2010

When I survey the Wondrous Cross

By Isaac Watts, 1707

When I survey the wondrous cross,
On which the Prince of Glory died,
My richest gain I count but loss,
And pour contempt on all my pride.

Forbid it Lord that I should boast,
Save in the death of Christ my God,
All the vain things that charm me most,
I sacrifice them to his blood.

See from His head, His hands, his feet,
Sorrow and love flow mingled down,
Did e'er such love and sorrow meet,
Or thorns compose so rich a crown.

Were the whole realm of nature mine,
That were a present far too small,
Love so amazing, so divine,
Demands my soul, my life, my all.


This song is one of my most favorite songs of all time. Yes, it is a hymn, and a very old one at that (over 300 years old!), but that fact, or its 'old' music style don't make any difference when you just read the words. They are timeless, a small glimpse of our eternal Father who has always been and never changes. I find it so cool that Isaac Watts in 1707 could write the words, and me, Stephanie Dietzel in 2010 can read them and still feel convicted by their truth. Isn't God amazing? Yes.

I love how the first stanza talks of looking at the cross, contemplating it and its purpose, and all that Christ did. And when you really and truly contemplate the cross, you can't help but disregard all the things you are proud of, your accomplishments, even your own spiritual maturity, which is something I easily am prideful of. And not only disregarding them, but pouring contempt on them. I love that line, and how is puts such a vivid, practical picture to something we Christians easily pass off as 'hard', or as an acceptable sin- pride is just too big, and a lot of times, its inward only. We don't necessarily go around stating how proud we are!

Stanza two: I just love how this come straight from scripture! Galatians 6:14 says "But God forbid that I should boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world." And once again, there is sacrifice, this time of our vain things.

The third stanza is unique because of the wonderful oxymorons- statements that seemingly contradict each other. Sorrow and love flowing from the same thorn-pierced head, hands and feet? Thorns composing a crown? Yes, these are contradictions, but they just make each other more extreme, and more precious to me.

The final stanza is probably my favorite. It shows how small I am in comparison to God. It shows how much God has given to me, and no matter how hard I try, how much I give, or what I do, I can never ever repay God for the incredible sacrifice He made for me. But that's ok! That is God's plan! And it is wondrous! Grace paid for my sins, and I don't need to worry about trying to earn my salvation. God did that for me. SO AMAZING! But in return, out of a gratitude to God, I give my soul, my life, my all to God. It's that simple.

The cross is truly wondrous. I am so thankful for it. Let us never grown numb to its wonder.

No comments:

Post a Comment