Monday, September 12, 2011

Getting to Know my Heavenly Father



I was encouraged and challenged last night in youth service at my church in a big way. Recently, I've been struggling with the question, "What is is the balance between being content wherever God has me spiritually, and always seeking to grow, grow, grow to be more like Him." I feel like I need to be both content, but yet not content at the same time. But an encouraging thought I heard last night was, "just get to know your God." And I intend to do so.



So I have set off on yet another journey and I am so excited to see where God leads me on this one. I don't know what to expect, except that I know God will change me, and He will be glorified. So as I uncover a new aspect about God, I will try and post something, even if it's short and sweet, about what I'm learning.



SO. Today. Leviticus 19:1-2, 


And the LORD spoke to Moses, saying, "Speak to all the congregation of the people of Israel and say to them, You shall be holy, for I the LORD your God am holy... Every one of you shall revere his mother and his father, and you shall keep my Sabbaths: I am the LORD your God.  Do not turn to idols or make for yourselves any gods of cast metal: I am the LORD your God. When you offer a sacrifice of peace offerings to the LORD, you shall offer it so that you may be accepted."

I learned today that God is HOLY. I also learned that I am to be holy because He is Holy. Everything I do should be done with holiness, because God is holy and He demands holiness from His children. God can't be around unholiness. He is the LORD MY GOD- and I am an unholy creature. 

I never really thought about pursuing holiness in everyday things, but the more I think about it, the more sense it makes. Before, 'holiness' made me think of nuns and monks vowing silence and doing charitable acts of kindness to the orphans. But holiness is so much more than that! Seeking to be holy is seeking to be like God. God is the very definition of Holy! Actually, God is Holy, Holy, Holy! He needs three "holy's" that symbolized perfectly holy holiness to describe Him!

God is so holy, and I am so unholy. I do so many selfish things, think so many wrong thoughts, and say so many irreverent things. So today, my mind is weighed down with my unholiness, but it is also renewed with the glorious Truth that God is perfectly Holy, and He desires to make me like Him.

"For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the firstborn among many brothers." Romans 8:29


"and have put on the new self, which is being renewed in knowledge after the image of its creator." Colossians 3:10


"And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ." Philippians 1:6

 "Holy, holy, holy is the LORD of hosts; the whole earth is full of his glory!" Isaiah 6:3

No comments:

Post a Comment