Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Digger Deeper into Holiness

So since my last post, I have continued reading in the book of Leviticus about God and his holiness, and how I am supposed to be holy. Throughout my time in the Word, I kept finding myself searching for practical ways to be holy or to make myself holy. I was a little confused, because I was reading from the book of Leviticus, and the Israelites followed the Law that God gave them. I on the other hand, am not under the law, but under grace (Romans 6:14). So I was a bit confused as to which commands I was supposed to follow to be holy like God.

But then the thought struck me. Am I holy by my own merit? Surely not! Like I mentioned before, I am weighed down with just how unholy I am, how often I fail, and my daily, hourly struggles with sin. So the idea of ME having to be holy by myself is completely out of the picture. There is NO way that will ever happen.

So how can we be holy as Christians? There is no magic formula, no list of do's and don't's that we can follow to become holy as God is holy. We stand holy and righteous before God because, and ONLY because of Christ. My righteous deeds are like a filthy garment to God! (Isaiah 64:6) He doesn't want them or need them. His righteousness and holiness was imputed to us when we were born again through His saving work on the cross. Jesus is my propitiation, my sacrifice. Just like the Israelites had to offer sacrifices to pay for their sins, Jesus became MY sacrifice, and took care of ALL sins, past, present, future, big, and small.(1 John 4:10) God looks at me, and just sees Jesus' blood covering me. It is so comforting to know that I have absolutely NOTHING to do with my stance before God. It is all God's work, and I am so blessed to be called his daughter! What an amazing God I serve!

1 comment: