Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Seek the LORD

When I begin to feel overwhelmed by my sin, I MUST remember to run to the Lord first and foremost.

This past week, my passion for God was gone, I wasn't even sure if I wanted to serve Him anymore. Doubts of salvation began to creep in and I wondered where God had gone in all of this. I felt like I was doing everything right. Obviously, I had missed the most important part.

I didn't run to the Lord first.

I suffered the consequences until, after many hours of counseling, I finally gave up trying to fix my problems in my own strength, and ran to God as a helpless child, seeking Him and only Him, knowing that "it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for His good pleasure." ~ Philippians 2:13

I began a word study on "seek" (the reason behind that being a very godly friend of mine told me I had to seek God in this, that seeking God was the only thing I could do). So I flipped to the back of my Bible, thumbed down to "seek", and looked at the first entry: 1 Chronicles 28:9. To be perfectly honest, I almost skipped this first one to go on to the passages in Psalms, but I'm SO glad I didn't, for I would have missed a very important lesson

"'And you, Solomon my son, know the God of your father and serve him with a whole heart and with a willing mind, for the LORD searches ALL hearts and understands EVERY plan and thought. If you seek him, he WILL be found by you, but if you forsake him, he will cast you off forever. Be careful now, for the LORD has chosen you to build a house for the sanctuary; be strong and do it.'...Then David said to Solomon his son, 'Be strong and courageous and do it. Do NOT be afraid and do not be dismayed, for the LORD God, even my God, is with you. He will NOT leave you or forsake you, until all the work for the service of the house of the LORD is finished.'" ~ 1 Chronicles 28: 9-10, 20

Just reading through this passage and understanding the context and history behind it opened my eyes to a wonderful, new love for God. David is telling Solomon about how to serve God in the mission that God had given to him (building the temple). David's words of wisdom to his son were to know God, to serve God, to seek God, to trust God.

How wonderful it is to know that I serve a God who is trustworthy. I know that God was faithful to David and Solomon. I know He was faithful to Abraham by providing him with a son. I know He was faithful to the Israelites by bringing them safely out of Egypt.

I also know that my God never changes.

The God that was faithful 2,000 years ago, is the exact same God I serve today. I know and trust that He will be faithful to me. In fact, He already has. He has given me an undeniable passion for Him. He is showing me that He is at work in my life. He has given me an opportunity to share the gospel to an unbeliever. What did I do to deserve His great love? All I can do is sit back in awe of the mighty God I serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment