Friday, March 4, 2011

God is Faithful

73Your hands have made and fashioned me;
give me understanding that I may learn your commandments.
74Those who fear you shall see me and rejoice,
because I have hoped in your word.
75I know, O LORD, that your rules are righteous,
and that in faithfulness you have afflicted me.
76Let your steadfast love comfort me
according to your promise to your servant.
77Let your mercy come to me, that I may live;
for your law is my delight.
78Let the insolent be put to shame,
because they have wronged me with falsehood;
as for me, I will meditate on your precepts.
79Let those who fear you turn to me,
that they may know your testimonies.
80May my heart be blameless in your statutes,
that I may not be put to shame!
Psalm 119:73-80, ESV

God is so faithful to show me exactly what I need to focus on for the day. Today, i was reading about the armor of God in Ephesians, and looked up these verses as a cross reference about the Breastplate of Righteousness.

The part that sticks out to me the most is in verse 75 "In faithfulness You have afflicted me". Suddenly it has become clear to me that God is showing His faithfulness to me by bringing me through trials and tests; He is being faithful by showing me that He is at work in my life, and that "he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ" (Philippians 1:6). These periods of trial and sorrow are not bad. I just chose to look at them that way. I can choose to focus on God's faithfulness instead, and have joy despite my circumstances.

Also, God's steadfast love is always there to comfort me, and His mercy brings me life.

Father, your law is my delight, Help me to meditate on it, care for it, and use it as my shield against the schemes of the Devil.

No comments:

Post a Comment